Did you know that the use of mobile messaging and marketing exploded over the holiday season in 2011? PEW American & Internet Life Project
found that more than half (52 percent) of adult cell phone owners used their devices while in a store to help with purchasing decisions. Here is the breakdown of the findings:
1. The majority (52 percent) of adult cell owners used their devices while in a store.
2. Cell owners ages 18-49 are significantly more likely to use their phone for online product reviews.
3. Thirty-three percent of adult cell owners used their phone specifically for online information while inside a physical store.
4. Thirty-eight percent of cell owners used their phone to call a friend while they were in a store for advice about a purchase.
5. Twenty-four percent of cell owners used their phone to look up reviews of a product online while in a store.
6 . A quarter of adult cell owners used their phones to look up the price of a product online while they were in a store to see if they could get a better price somewhere else.
7. Nearly half of 18-29 year olds called a friend for advice about a purchase.
8. Half of household incomes over $50,000 used cell phones for product reviews and advice.
9. Thirty-eight percent of 18-29 year olds used their phones for real-time price matching.
10. One in five mobile price matches made their most recent purchase from an online store, rather than a physical location.
11. Five percent of all cell owners who purchased a product online this holiday season after looking up its price online from a physical store.
12. Nine percent of all cell owners searched for the price of a product they found in a physical store but ultimately purchased it at that store.
13. More than 60 percent of 18-29 year olds used their used their phone for real-time product reviews and advice.
14. Only four percent of 65 and older used their phones to find, research, and purchase products.
15. Seventeen percent of all cell phone owners engaged in both price matching and looking up reviews.
Have you taken the necessary steps to start the conversation around mobile technology and marketing? The majority of the consuming world is shifting to a medium that is real-time and competitive.
Kyle Lacy is principal of marketing research & development for ExactTarget, a leader in integrated and cross channel marketing solutions.