Infographic: 3 in 10 workers fall asleep at their desks
Two-thirds of Americans do not feel well-rested. Such lack of sleep can cause car accidents, heart attacks, and augment hunger levels.
How many hours did you sleep last night?
According to an infographic by termlifeinsurance.org, the average U.S. adult sleeps six hours and 55 minutes each night, but needs eight hours of sleep.
Two-thirds of Americans do not feel well-rested. This large percentage of sleepy people has fatal consequences. Drowsy driving causes one in five car accidents. Lifetime heart attack risk increases by 50 percent for an adult who averages less than six hours of sleep.
Here are more consequences of sleepiness:
- The average U.S. worker pays $20 a week for coffee.
- Getting less than six hours of sleep could add the equivalent of one cheeseburger a day to your diet.
- Sleepiness lowers testosterone levels an average of 10 to 15 percent.
- Risk of stroke increases four times for an adult over 45 who sleeps only six hours a night.
- Tired employees cost businesses approximately $136 billion a year.
Want to sleep more? Here’s how: Power down your cell phone, establish a nightly routine, and don’t use electronic devices 45 minutes before bed time.
Here’s the graphic:
Popularity: This record has been viewed 14341 times.
Ragan.com moderates comments and reserves the right to remove posts that are abusive or otherwise inappropriate.