7 bar jokes about grammar and punctuation
Don't think jokes about gerunds or question marks can elicit a chuckle? Think again.
A comma splice walks into a bar, it has a drink and then leaves.
2. A dangling modifier walks into a bar. After finishing a drink, the bartender asks it to leave.
3. A question mark walks into a bar?
4. Two quotation marks "walk into" a bar.
5. A gerund and an infinitive walk into a bar, drinking to drink.
6. The bar was walked into by the passive voice.
7. Three intransitive verbs walk into a bar. They sit. They drink. They leave.
Eric K. Auld teaches composition at SUNY Adirondack in Queensbury, NY, and at Berkshire Community College in Pittsfield, MA. This post first appeared on McSweeney's Internet Tendency.
Popularity: This record has been viewed 19825 times.
Ragan.com moderates comments and reserves the right to remove posts that are abusive or otherwise inappropriate.