Have you ever accidentally gotten on a plane, and had to call out sick from work?
We haven’t either.
But someone somewhere has.
CareerBuilder, in partnership with Harris Poll, conducted a survey to see how many people faked being sick this year, and what excuses they gave their bosses. Accidentally getting on a plane was one of the top 10 strangest alibis.
Other bizarre explanations include an employee waking up in a good mood and not wanting to ruin it, one staffer had just put a casserole in the oven, and another had had a “lucky night” and didn’t know where he was.
The survey found 49 percent of employees have a paid time off program that allows them to use their time off any way they like, but 23 percent still feel they need to make up an excuse for not being in the office. (Maybe spontaneity has a guilt component.)
Most employers trust their workers to tell the truth, but 31 percent said they’ve checked up on employees to see if their excuses were true. Sixty-six percent of employers have asked for a doctor’s note, 49 percent have called an employee, and 15 percent actually drove past an employee’s house. Twenty-four percent of employers have busted employees by checking social media.
Enough about statistics. Here are the year’s top 10 most unbelievable excuses employees have used to call in sick:
1. Employee just put a casserole in the oven.
2. Employee’s plastic surgery for enhancement purposes needed some “tweaking” to get it just right.
3. Employee was sitting in the bathroom and her feet and legs fell asleep. When she stood, she fell and broke her ankle.
4. Employee had been at the casino all weekend and still had money left to play on Monday morning.
5. Employee woke up in a good mood and didn’t want to ruin it.
6. Employee had a “lucky night” and didn’t know where he was.
7. Employee got stuck in a grocery store blood pressure machine and couldn’t get out.
8. Employee had a gallstone he wanted to heal holistically.
9. Employee caught his uniform on fire by attempting to dry it in the microwave.
10. Employee accidentally got on a plane.