12 things you should never post on Facebook
If you wouldn’t confess dark secrets or spew profanity offline, don’t do it online.
A lot of people have written about annoying social media habits, but evidently not enough.
In case you’re still unsure about what to post to Facebook, consult this list:
1. Disturbing photos: Pictures of starving babies, burned dogs, and people with horrible disfigurements are in poor taste, and very upsetting to some people. We know a good cause is usually involved, but use some discretion.
2. Hard sales: Not everyone is in the market for expensive makeup or real estate. Share something the whole class can enjoy.
3. Guilt trips: Posting things like, “Make this your status for an hour or else you were not raised right or don’t care about babies with cancer” just makes people feel bad. This modern version of a chain letter doesn’t help the cause.
4. Games: This is like forcing people to play charades when they hate parlor games. Ask people first if they like games, and whether they will mind the hacks, spams and viruses that come with some of them.
5. Urban myths: Before you post that eating pomegranate seeds will cause your kneecaps to burst, run it through Snopes.
Become a Ragan Insider member to read this article and all other archived content.Sign up today
Already a member? Log in here.
Learn more about Ragan Insider.