There are plenty of signs that you are addicted to social media. But for some of us, it goes beyond addiction—it’s our very livelihood. For social media managers, specialists, coordinators, and other social media-related job-title holders, I wanted a list that spoke to our shared experience.
So I tapped some of my brilliant colleagues for help coming up with these signs that you work in social media:
1. You go out for drinks with your co-workers and spend the first 10 minutes looking at your phone to check how your brands’ posts are faring.
2. You’ve sent an all-company email asking everyone to follow or “like” your client.
3. You find yourself excited when one of the “stars” of “Sixteen and Pregnant” retweets your content to her legions of followers.
4. You find yourself saying things like, “I spend all day on Facebook, but I can’t remember the last time I checked my personal account.”
5. You get really annoyed when people use hashtags on Facebook.
6. You get really annoyed when people don’t know what “hashtag” means.
7. You feel for Oreo’s page manager right now.
8. You “like” about 500 Facebook pages of brands you would never use or associate with.
9. Made-up words like “shareable” are part of your daily vocabulary.
10. You were elated when Facebook launched its Pages app, allowing you to manage your brands’ pages from anywhere.
11. You were devastated when Facebook launched its Pages app, allowing you to manage your brands’ pages from anywhere.
12. You consider yourself completely qualified for a career in customer service.
14. When you think of “engagement,” a future wedding is no longer top of mind.
15. You’d never date someone who still uses MySpace.
16. And thanks to Chrysler’s 2011 Twitter crisis, you have horrible anxiety about installing a brand’s account on your mobile device.
17. You fantasize about having physical altercations with the people who post “first” in the comments.
18. There’s nothing that upsets you more than improper use of your/you’re.
19. Based on your brand page’s spam, you should have been visited by some girl’s ghost and a deranged clown or two several times over.
20. Man or woman, you write like an excited teenage girl sometimes and you just can’t help it.
21. Sometimes you absolutely NEED to write in caps … for emphasis.
22. You don’t just use exclamation points—you abuse them!
23. You know about every pointless holiday ever conceived from building your content calendars, yet you can’t remember your best friend’s birthday.
24. You’ve engaged in conversation with a “brand champ” more than your family members in the past two weeks.
25. Your Instagram account is nothing but pictures related to the brand you manage.