When you ask people whether their brand or business has a formalized content plan for its social media and website(s), the response is typically “No, why do I need one?” Small and mid-size businesses tend to have fewer in-house resources available for content creation.
Many choose to outsource the content, which can be an excellent way to provide fresh information and reading for your digital audience. However, smaller organizations struggle with providing regular content. The emphasis is to get “something new” online for readers as often as possible, but there is rarely time for strategic planning of content.
More and more organizations are seeing that formulating a schedule can save time, resources, and money. The content schedule should include articles and blog posts, as well as social media updates for engagement.
A content schedule will resemble an editorial calendar, though with digital marketing and SEO requirements, it must include action items such as target audience, keywords, and product or brand focus (if there’s more than one product in the family), as well as seasonal promotions.
Here are some benefits of a content schedule:
1. Dispersion of content is better managed with a formal plan. It’s important to provide regular updates to your website and social media channels. Spread your content throughout the month to keep readers engaged and returning for more discussion or information. This generates more page views and builds repeat visits.
2. Diversity of content is important for any successful website. We all like to write about our pet topic areas or our favorite products or brands. However, such content bias can quickly reduce your audience as it becomes repetitive and even predictable. A content schedule will help you diversify your topic matter for the month.
3. Writing assignments can be provided ahead of time to ensure high-quality content. You want to give writers time to create entertaining, highly readable articles that will vary from your competition’s content. If you outsource your writing, this also gives you a way to project your budget.
4. Keyword strategic planning will enable to you to reach a specific target market during the month by tooling all posts and social media updates. If you’re representing multiple products, you might highlight one per month by focusing your keywords. By narrowing your keyword use, you can also gauge the response to that product or service.
5. Promotions or contests benefit from a schedule, as blog posts and social media updates can be coordinated with contest details.