Is the R.I.P. for PR a trifle premature?

Social media is redefining the way pros pitch stories, and the field itself has an obvious choice: evolve or expire.

Social media is redefining the way pros pitch stories, and the field itself has an obvious choice: evolve or expire

There are as many PR prognoses as there are PR professionals.

Most agree that the industry is at a crossroads due in large part to social media, which has chiseled away at the way the profession has always worked. The old ways of pitching journalists via press releases has largely fallen by the wayside as demand grows for multimedia content and interactive PR.

Questions remain whether and how PR pros can evolve and survive the transition.

Fuat Kircaali, CEO and publisher of SYS-CON Media, believes 70 percent of today’s traditional PR firms will not survive, while the remaining 30 percent will need to reinvent themselves.

“Today’s PR firms are sitting ducks in the way of tomorrow’s social media freight train,” he blogged on Web 2.0 Journal. “They will join the extinct species of dinosaurs right about the same time as newspapers and most print magazines.”

To read the full story, log in.
Become a Ragan Insider member to read this article and all other archived content.
Sign up today

Already a member? Log in here.
Learn more about Ragan Insider.