Thank you for attending Ragan & PR Daily's Writing Certificate Course for Communicators, moderated by Brian Pittman, Manager of Strategic Programming, Ragan Training and PR Daily.
Below are the slide decks from the presentations, homework assignments, and bonus classroom materials. Click here to view our event slides with additional awards, events and council information.
Materials are intended for attendee use only. Please do not distribute.
We encourage you to bookmark this page, or save the website URL, for future use.
Wednesday, March 2, 2022
Week 1: Powerful Principles
Instructor: Jill Stewart, Writing Coach and Adjunct Faculty Member, DePaul University’s College of Communication
- Guest: Jaime Bedrin, Journalist & Media Writing Instructor, Montclair State University
Wednesday, March 9, 2022
Week 2: Persuasive Writing
- Instructor: Jill Stewart, Writing Coach and Adjunct Faculty Member, DePaul University’s College of Communication
Instructor: Lynn Douglass, Writer, Journalist and Former Course Associate, Columbia University, School of Professional Studies
Guest: Keisha-Gaye Anderson, Senior Director of Marketing and Communications, The Jed Foundation
- Review bonus resources
- Bring an example of a headline you love and be prepared to share why
- Please read this Nasa Case Study written by Columbia Communications Professor Jane Praeger and come prepared to discuss it in a Break-Out room the week of March 16th.
Wednesday, March 16, 2022
Week 3: Application & Practice
- Instructor: Lynn Douglass, Writer, Journalist and Former Course Associate, Columbia University, School of Professional Studies
Guest: Jim Ylisela, Co-Founder and Senior Partner, Ragan Consulting Group
Additional Reading and Resources:
- Available online: “Made to Stick,” by Chip Heath and Dan Heath
- Available online: “Winning the Story Wars: Why Those Who Tell—and Live—the Best Stories Will Rule the Future” by Jonah Sachs
- NASA Case Study vs. Case Story Comparison
- Headline Article 1: "I Don't Want to Die on TV: Charles Barkley Plans to Retire from Broadcasting in Two Years"
- Headline Article 2: "The Joy of Cooking (Insects)"