Who you are:
The Digital Designer will work in close collaboration with members of the digital team—Digital Engagement Director, Content Manager, Content Strategist, Web Engagement Director, and Developer—to create branding and web design products that inspire, inform, and engage Vera’s public audiences across Vera’s digital channels, from social media and email to web.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with Content Manager and Strategist in order to conceptualize and produce designs and visual treatments for social media channels, from infographics to shareable quote graphics.
- Develop mockups, mood boards, style treatments, page designs and components for social media and website projects.
- Design and manage organizational and campaign brand assets (logos, style tiles, style guides, illustrations, email templates, social media graphics and online ads)
Project Management and Quality Assurance
- Collaborate with developers to help ensure our designs get brought to life through code and to support with quality assurance (QA) on projects.
- Coordinate some projects independently, working directly with Vera program teams, editorial, creative, and media teams as needed.
- Work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
- Maintain awareness of industry best practices and trends in content and marketing (social media and user experience in particular).
What qualifications do you need?
- At least three years of experience in design.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and Figma.
- Skills building modern designs for Content Management Systems (CMSs), digital, and web.
- Ability to operate under pressure and within short deadlines.
- Passion. A demonstrated commitment to social justice.
- A proven track record. Experience designing specifically for digital media, and across multiple digital channels.
- Project management. Demonstrated experience creating designs and digital content from conception to implementation. You are detail-oriented but can see the big picture. You have keen time management and multitasking skills, including the ability to take initiative, prioritize tasks and duties, pay close attention to detail, and work independently while meeting specific deadlines.
- Expertise. Exceptional visual design skills. The ability to distill complex topics into accessible, persuasive, and elegant designs.
- A deep commitment to racial equity. In a system built on racism and inequity, we are working to ensure equity both in our workplace and in the world. You incorporate this value and share it with others.
- A collaborator, rigorous thinker, and problem-solver. Collaboration is a Vera value. We thrive when we learn and build on each other’s ideas. We’re open to giving and receiving feedback—both in our team and across the institution.
- Emotional intelligence. You demonstrate strong social and emotional awareness with your team and external partners. You’re open to opportunities to learn and grow. You exercise good judgment and don’t allow urgency to trump relationships
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
List of Required Software applications:
- Adobe Creative Suite
Compensation and Benefits:
The compensation range for this position is $63,800 – $67,000. Actual salaries will vary depending on factors including but not limited to experience and performance. The salary range listed is just one component of Vera Institute’s total compensation package for employees. As an employer of choice in our field, supporting Vera staff—both personally and professionally—is a priority. To do this, we invest in the well-being of our staff through other rewards including merit pay, generous paid time off, a comprehensive health insurance plan, student loan repayment benefits, professional development training opportunities and up to $2,000 annual for education costs and fees relevant to Vera work, employer-funded retirement plan, and flexible time and remote work schedules. To learn more about Vera’s benefits offerings, click here.
Applications may also be faxed to:
ATTN: People Resources / Digital Designer, Communications
Vera Institute of Justice
34 35th St, Suite 4-2A, Brooklyn, NY 11232
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method (online, mail or fax) of submission.
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
As a federal contractor, and in order to ensure a healthy and safe work environment, Vera Institute of Justice is requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccine before their start date. Employees who cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability/medical contraindication or sincerely-held religious belief may request an accommodation (e.g., an exemption) to this requirement.
Vera is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, current employment status, or caregiver status.
Vera works to advance justice, particularly racial justice, in an increasingly multicultural country and globally connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system contact, and depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about Vera, please visit www.vera.org
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Who we are:
The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, is a nonprofit criminal justice organization that strives to build just government institutions and safe communities free from the scourge of racism, white supremacy, profit, and inequity that is pervasive in this country’s legal systems. We are an “inside” lane organization that drives change at scale with ambitious public sector leaders who share our commitment to building anti-racist, reparative systems that deliver justice. We leverage our access to government to transform these systems and work collaboratively with stakeholders across many movements—including advocacy, grassroots, and grassroots organizations. Our role is to pilot solutions that are transformative and achievable, harness the power of evidence to drive effective policy and practice, and use advocacy and communications to change narratives and norms.
Vera has a staff of almost 300 people and offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans. We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace. We expect our staff to embody respect, independence, collaboration, commitment, anti-racism, and equity—both in our outward-facing work and the internal culture of our workplace. We value a range of experiences in people’s educational backgrounds and encourage people who have been directly impacted by the criminal justice system to apply.
New job listings updated daily. Click here to sign up for our newsletter to stay informed.