Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation’s capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
The Internal Communications Director proactively develops, leads, and executes a comprehensive internal communications plan that aligns with and articulates Georgetown Law’s goals, mission, and values. S/he will plan and execute innovative internal communications programs and activities to engage internal audiences and create a positive workplace culture.
The incumbent identifies and uses multiple platforms and channels to define and deliver compelling content. Partnering with Law Center leadership, the Director will determine and direct message development with internal stakeholders and provide direct support to leadership on strategic communications, including crisis communications.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Communications, the Internal Communications Director has additional duties that include but are not limited to:
Comprehensive Internal Communications Plan
- Assesses needs and establishes goals, developing and implementing an internal communications strategy for the Law Center in conjunction with Law Center administration.
- Identifies and uses the most effective digital and social media platforms to communicate with staff and faculty members.
- Ensures that activities and materials align with Georgetown Law brand and values and that organizational initiatives and projects are successfully communicated to faculty and staff.
- Plan, edit and write content for a variety of internal communications mediums, such as a staff intranet, monthly newsletters, and regular email bulletins.
- Works with design team to create unique layouts for content distribution.
- Works collaboratively with Georgetown Law’s external communications team to ensure full alignment of internal and external messaging.
Consistency of Internal Communications across Law Center Departments
- Monitors and provides input on internal communications messages to ensure consistency across all mediums and departments at the Law Center.
- Provides high-level crisis communications support to the Dean, COO, Director of Public Safety, Executive Director of Communications, Dean of Students, and other members of the leadership team to ensure adequate and appropriate communications to Georgetown Law’s internal audiences.
- Serves as primary Law Center communications liaison with Georgetown University on crisis communications.
- Collaborates with Communications team to ensure external platforms (website, magazine, admissions, and alumni communications) are consistent in tone and messaging.
- Provides communications support to departments, including HR, Facilities, and Public Safety around effectively communicating operational changes at Georgetown Law.
- Develops and oversees fact sheets and other informational materials in support of larger Georgetown Law Communications activities.
Support Office of the Dean on Internal Communications
- Provides extensive message development and copywriting support to the Dean, including advising on messaging and ghostwriting high-profile Law Center announcements, statements, speeches, and talking points.
- Advises senior staff of developments throughout the organization, either face to face or through regular written communication.
Requirements and QUALIFICATIONS
- B.A. in Journalism, Communications or related field required, M.A. beneficial
- Minimum of 5-7 years of demonstrated success in developing and implementing internal communications programs and strategies to a variety of internal audiences
- Strong working knowledge of communications best practices and be able to guide Georgetown Law messaging with diplomacy, tact, and sensitivity for all audiences
- Excellent storytelling abilities and the capacity to frame Georgetown Law’s current and evolving story in a clear and compelling way to Georgetown Law staff and faculty
- Experience collaborating with digital and design teams on internal communication efforts
- Excellent verbal communication, writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Ability to work closely and effectively with a diversity of individuals across the organization who have varying degrees of communication skills and interest in order to support Georgetown Law communication goals
- Ability to translate complex ideas into language easily comprehensible to all audiences
- Understanding of and experience with using social media tools and approaches as part of communications strategies
- Familiarity with higher education organization and operations preferred
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown’s commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Georgetown University is one of the world’s leading academic and research institutions, offering a unique educational experience that prepares the next generation of global citizens to lead and make a difference in the world. We are a vibrant community of exceptional students, faculty, alumni and professionals dedicated to real-world applications of our research, scholarship, faith and service.
Established in 1789, Georgetown is the nation’s oldest Catholic and Jesuit University. Drawing upon the 450-year-old legacy of Jesuit education, we provide students with a world-class learning experience focused on educating the whole person through exposure to different faiths, cultures and beliefs. Students are challenged to engage in the world and become men and women in the service of others, especially the most vulnerable and disadvantaged members of the community.
These values are at the core of Georgetown’s identity, binding members of the community across diverse backgrounds.
New job listings updated daily. Click here to sign up for our newsletter to stay informed.