About the job
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
As an External Communications Leader, you will be responsible for executing ABB’s tier one and financial media relations to support divisions, business areas, and group communications in the United States. In this role, you will work with multiple stakeholders to manage concurrent media press initiatives, share expertise, and deliver strategic value for ABB in the U.S.
This position reports to
Country Communications Manager
- Execute ABB’s external communications initiatives to support divisions, business areas, and group communications in the United States.
- Country external communication activities will focus on local media relations, tier one, financial, and mainstream media outlets, excluding trade publications.
- Develop meaningful relationships with key journalists, expand existing relationships.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute press conferences or media deskside briefings as warranted by the divisions, business areas, and group communications.
- Cascade selective group press releases locally.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts to prepare spokespeople for media interview opportunities.
- Ensure a balanced profile of ABB locally in the United States market.
- Foster collaboration and alignment across business areas and divisions.
- Share best practices and facilitate collaboration with divisions, business areas, and group corporate communications.
- Activate global platforms such as ABB Formula E in the United States.
- Identify and escalate potential ABB reputational risks in the local media to appropriate stakeholders.
- Track media mentions, impressions, and story tonality to measure performance.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Advertising, PR, Communications, Journalism, or a related field.
- Minimum of 10+ years’ experience in media relations.
- Strong writing skills and the ability to copy edit.
- Communicate strong media pitch angles capture the interest of mainstream reporters.
- Able to build professional relationships with members of the media.
- Create media briefing documents and prepare spokespeople.
- Manage media interviews in support of corporate spokespeople.
- Knowledge of media list platforms such as Cision and Meltwater.
- Proficient computer skills, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel).
- Knowledge of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) best practices.
- Excellent analytical and time management skills.
- Strong project management skills with an ability to work on multiple projects concurrently.
- 12+ years’ experience in media relations preferred.
- Ability to transform complex technical information into easily understood copy.
- Experience managing outside vendors, excellent at building relationships.
- Experience working with B2B companies, engineering, technology, sustainability or energy.
- Up to 25% domestic travel required, international maybe
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Electrifying the world in a safe, smart and sustainable way, ABB Electrification is a global technology leader in electrical distribution and management from source to socket. As the world’s demand for electricity grows, our 50,000+ employees across 100 countries collaborate with customers and partners to transform how people connect, live and work. We develop innovative products, solutions and digital technologies that enable energy efficiency and a low carbon society across all sectors. By applying global scale with local expertise, we shape and support global trends, deliver excellence for customers and power a sustainable future for society. go.abb/electrification
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB’s career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.
New job listings updated daily. Click here to sign up for our newsletter to stay informed.