Responsible for managing external public and media relations communications as they relate to IFT’s media, public image, brand, and advocacy activities and successes. The Sr. Manager, Public Relations and Media Relations oversees IFT’s external media partner and is responsible for effectively telling the IFT story to media and identified strategic influencer audiences. The role also manages day-to-day media issues management, proactive and reactive media, and public relations. Additionally, the manager is the key liaison and partner to IFT’s Science and Policy Initiatives team and Global Food Traceability Center, including providing direct marketing and communications support as well as counsel to the Chief Science & Technology Officer. It is the role of the manager to find creative and impactful ways to communicate scientific thought leadership. perspectives, initiatives, and outcomes to desired audiences as to shape and enhance IFT’s reputation as a leader in dialogues and narratives within the global food system. This work includes public and media channels and earned media, and may also include traditional marketing channels used by IFT to connect with members, potential members, and customers.
IFT CORE VALUES:
- Community: We believe in the power of community. We collaborate across borders and scientific disciplines with public and private institutions. We are a convener of people and ideas. Teamwork is essential to our success.
- Integrity: We want our scientific and operational integrity to be renowned. We honor the diversity of people and ideas in our community. We adhere to the highest level of professionalism and professional ethics.
- Passion: We are passionate about the science of food. We are dedicated to expanding knowledge and advancing careers. We commit ourselves to finding solutions to the food challenges facing humanity.
- Progress: We are dedicated to supporting the changing needs of our members and our community. We are committed to continuous improvement and to championing innovation.
- Respect: We respect the scientific process and our peers. We are guided by the needs and demands of our members. We are committed to clear communication and responsiveness.
- Inclusion: We promise to listen, learn, and invite input from people of all backgrounds. We will create processes to reach shared agreements and pursue equity in our community. Our decisions and actions are informed by intentionally challenging assumptions, beliefs, and practices that maintain inequity in society and science.
Manage the following to ensure the IFT image is protected and promoted in a proper, coordinated, strategic, and consistent manner:
- Lead IFT’s external agency partner, directing the development and overseeing the execution of the annual media relations plan, including the annual event and other project-based efforts
- Act as an in-house expert for the IFT brand, detecting public relations issues, advising with management, crafting appropriate responses with senior leadership, ensuring crisis preparedness, conducting media trainings, etc.
- Manage media inquiries, interviews, proactive and reactive pitching, and overall IFT news flow
- Owns IFT relationships with press and publicity community, continuously identifying new contacts to increase meaningful exposure
- Actively monitor and analyze current events, public opinion, and press, identify issues and trends, offer experts for interviews
- Advance IFT’s thought leadership by identifying and submitting relevant IFT spokespersons or related initiatives to various paid and earned opportunities
- Develop earned media strategies to effectively communicate IFT’s mission, member successes, and overall positive impact on the global food system
- Prepare press releases, briefing materials, talking points, blogs, emails and other relevant information for media and strategic influencer audiences
- Serve as the point of contact for all media attendees and subsequent requests for IFT’s annual event, driving attendance from media across local, trade, national, and digital, coordinating briefings, and ensuring coverage
- Develop and support the strategy and objectives for the dissemination and engagement IFT’s scientific initiatives and communications
- Defines the value proposition for the Global Food Traceability Center as it relates to IFT’s overall brand, and develops communications approaches in conjunction with broader marketing team to drive awareness and understanding of the center, as well as achieving organizational objectives
- Working directly with the Chief Science and Technology Officer, develop an approach and strategy for thought leadership and positioning of IFT in food system conversations
- Serve as a liaison for the Science & Policy Initiatives (SPI) team, developing and execute communications efforts, using media and other channels, to promote and share key initiatives of the team
- Defines, alongside the Senior Director of Integrated Marketing and Brand Strategy, IFT’s corporate positioning and brand messaging to elevate awareness, create distinction, and drive the organizations strategic goals
- Closely work with Editor-in-Chief to ensure there is content alignment across teams and channels for the benefit of the IFT brand and the science of food community.
- Directs the IFT Member Expert program, attracting new food science experts, building member relationships, and conducting ongoing trainings to further IFT’s reputation as a go-to source for sound, nonpartisan scientific information
This is not meant to be a complete or comprehensive list as responsibilities may change; other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned at any time.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Public Relations, or related area
- Minimum five years progressive experience developing and managing successful public relations programs
- Experience with a food, health or scientific organization a plus
- Ability to write clearly and concisely, in AP style with exceptionally strong written communication skills
- Demonstrated confidence in pitching story ideas to media outlets
- Knowledge and skill with various online media relations database tools
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Extreme attention to detail and highly organized
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to multitask and perform in a fast-paced environment
- Passionate about media relations
Sr. Manager Skill Requirements
- Help facilitate initiatives to improve customer experience & enhance engagement; take ownership of customer issues and follow problems through to resolution
- Manage projects, processes, and/or people to accomplish individual, departmental, project, and organizational goals; when supervising, provide effective feedback and help develop direct reports
- Recognize and address issues that are outside a single perspective/role; promote creative, novel thinking and apply it to existing and emerging situations
- Pivot when change occurs or priorities shift; be an enthusiastic supporter of new processes or initiatives; continuously offer suggestions for improvement
- Maintain fiscal accountability while ensuring appropriate use of resources; may oversee budgets and contracts
- Successful collaborator; foster effective working relationships with colleagues, especially those on teams, projects, and within the reporting relationship
- Travel 5-10% domestically, including the ability to occasionally attend evening, weekend and overnight meetings
- Physical demands:
- Sitting for extended periods of time and may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
- Ability to exert up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
- Use of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and handling of other office equipment
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements due to computer work
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Since 1939, the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) has been a forum for passionate science of food professionals and technologists to collaborate, learn, and contribute all with the goal of inspiring and transforming collective scientific knowledge into innovative solutions for the benefit of all people around the world. As a scientific community grounded in purpose, IFT feeds the minds that feed the world.
New job listings updated daily. Click here to sign up for our newsletter to stay informed.