The latest Twitter statistics show that growth last year was more than 1,300 percent with the latest numbers revealed by Twitter at its Chirp conference for developers in April showing:
- Total number of users at 105 million (12 months ago that number was 8 million).
- Twitter received 180 million unique visitors a month to its website.
Twitter is a great way to promote and market your content. The challenge for business marketers is that you have only 140 characters to get your message across and your link clicked on. The most important element to make that happen is a great headline. In essence, Twitter has helped elevate the declining art of the headline.
So what are the keys to creating and writing a great headline, and why does it matter?
Why is a headline important?
- Tests have shown that you can increase your conversion rate on a website or a link by 73 percent by the use of a compelling headline.
- Did you know that on average, eight out of 10 people will read headline copy, but only two out of 10 will go on to read the rest of the copy? This is the secret to the power of the headline, and why it so highly determines the effectiveness of the entire piece.
- Another test revealed that a good headline performed 259 percent better than the worst headline.
This means that up to nearly three times as many people would read your Web page or view your video just through having spent some time ensuring that the headline is optimized.
So what are the basic requirements for writing that headline that will get people clicking and reading, viewing your content and copy whether that be video, presentation or text.
One way to start is to use a formula so here are six headline types and examples from Authority Blogger to get you started:
1. Get what you want (in health, wealth, relationships, time or lifestyle)
Example: “The secret to getting more money for your property!”
2. Crystal ball and history
Example: “10 predictions on the future of social media”
3. Problems and fears
Example: “Get rid of your debt once and for all”
4. Fact, fiction, truth and lies
Example: “Little known ways to make money on the stock exchange”
5. How to/tricks of the trade
Example: “How to plan the ultimate holiday”
6. Best and worst
Example: “The 10 worst mistakes made by bloggers”
For more headlines from Authority Blogger, check out 102 Proven Headline Formulas.
Another effective headline strategy is to use is list headlines. Here are some examples that I have used:
- 50 Ways To Optimize Your Blog
- 30 Things You Should Not Share On Social Media
- The 7 Secrets to Ford’s Social Media Marketing Success
You will notice that it is a list format and includes numbers. A mega-list headline is a large list, such as the 50 Ways To Optimize Your Blog or the 102 Proven Headline Formulas. I have experimented with these types of headlines, and they have produced some of my best blog traffic results.
Learning to get the basics of headline writing will make a big difference to your website and blog traffic, especially when used in your online marketing such as email and Twitter.
A version of this article originally ran on JeffBullas.com.