For those who could use a little extra inspiration this week, here are 10 fun and inspiring quotations about writing:
1. “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” —Douglas Adams
2. “And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.” —Sylvia Plath
3. “After nourishment, shelter, and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.” —Philip Pullman
4. “Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days nothing else matters.” —Neil Gaiman
5. “The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do.” —Thomas Jefferson
6. “Everybody does have a book in them, but in most cases that’s where it should stay.” —Christopher Hitchens
7. “Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.” —Ray Bradbury
8. “Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you’ve been to college.” —Kurt Vonnegut
9. “I only achieve simplicity with enormous effort.” —Clarice Lispector
10. “I hate writing, but I love having written.” —Dorothy Parker (attributed to others, as well)
Care to share your favorite quotation about writing?
Laura Hale Brockway is an Austin-based writer and editor. Read more of her work at impertinentremarks.com.