15 signs you’re a word nerd
In observance of National Word Nerd Day, we offer an array of symptoms that indicate your affinity for correct grammar, usage, syntax, punctuation, and spelling run deeper than that of others.
Did you celebrate National Word Nerd Day? (That was Jan. 8, if you’re wondering.) You probably already know if you’re a word nerd, but here are some clues:
1. You love to read.
2. You have at least one “Word a Day” calendar, app, or email subscription.
3. You have a favorite dictionary. Hat tip to the free and accessible Merriam-Webster.
4. You read the dictionary for fun.
5. You can cite your favorite and least-favorite words. “Onomatopoeic” and “carbuncle” here.
6. You know a portmanteau from a spoonerism, and you probably have favorites in these categories, too. Mine are “mansierre” (far superior to the “bro”) and the classic, “I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.”
7. Grammar Girl is your hero.
8. You know the difference between “e.g.” and “i.e.”
Become a Ragan Insider member to read this article and all other archived content.Sign up today
Already a member? Log in here.
Learn more about Ragan Insider.