Did you celebrate National Word Nerd Day? (That was Jan. 8, if you’re wondering.) You probably already know if you’re a word nerd, but here are some clues:
1. You love to read.
2. You have at least one “Word a Day” calendar, app, or email subscription.
3. You have a favorite dictionary. Hat tip to the free and accessible Merriam-Webster.
4. You read the dictionary for fun.
5. You can cite your favorite and least-favorite words. “Onomatopoeic” and “carbuncle” here.
6. You know a portmanteau from a spoonerism, and you probably have favorites in these categories, too. Mine are “mansierre” (far superior to the “bro”) and the classic, “I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.”
7. Grammar Girl is your hero.
8. You know the difference between “e.g.” and “i.e.”