I don’t like to admit this, but I’m terrible at writing headlines.
It’s the pressure. A headline not only has to summarize the article, it also has to grab the reader’s attention and lure him or her into the story.
While recently reviewing articles on how to write better headlines, I stumbled upon several lists of funny, outlandish and ridiculous headlines. I found them particularly inspirational.
Here are a few of my favorites:
- County to pay $250,000 to advertise lack of funds
- Volunteers search for old Civil War planes
- Meeting on open meetings is closed
- Ten commandments: Supreme Court says some okay, some not
- Utah Poison Control Center reminds everyone not to take poison
- Federal agents raid gun shop, find weapons
- Statistics show that teen pregnancy drops off significantly after age 25
- DOE to do NEPA’s EIS on BNFL’s AMWTP at INEEL after SRA protest
- Flu York City
- Homicide victims rarely talk to police
- Headless body in topless bar
- Diana was still alive hours before she died
- Miracle cure kills fifth patient
- Authorities pursue man running with scissors
- Oh hail no
- Students cook and serve grandparents
- Close look at dating finds men choose attractive women
- Rally against apathy draws small crowd
- The liar, the witch, and the wardrobe
- Man with 8 DUIs blames drinking problem
- Kiss your asteroid goodbye
Do you have any favorite headlines to share?