If you really want to make Twitter work for you, you need to share high-quality content regularly. However, active Twitter users often feel the need to tweet every five minutes. As you can imagine, tweeting quantity often comes at the expense of tweeting quality.
How can you make sure every link you share leads your followers to worthwhile content? Before you tweet a link, ask yourself these questions:
1. Is it different? Are you about to tweet a piece that addresses an old issue in the same old way? If so, why? Your followers don’t need to see something they’ve already seen a thousand times. Give them something different and interesting.
2. Is it useful? The idea is to add value. If you do, people will read/watch/listen to the content you share and apply it to what they do. When you share useful content, you position yourself as an indispensable resource.
3. Will it get a reaction or foster discussion? You should tweet with the intent of having people tweet back. Why? Because you want to start conversations. Will the content elicit comments, or will people glance at it and move on?
4. Who created it? While your content doesn’t always need to come from “experts,” you don’t want to only share content from unknown bloggers or competitors, either. And you certainly don’t want to just share your own content. Your best bet is to mix it up and lean on experts when possible.
5. Is it about you—again? Is your Twitter account your social media cheerleader? Remember, people will get sick of hearing about you. Content about your company is okay, but only every now and then.
6. Will the creator notice you shared? One benefit of sharing content is you can network with the content creators. Before you send a tweet, consider how you can make the creator notice it. The best way is to make sure you include the author’s Twitter handle in the tweet.
7. Will anyone else share it? Do you think anyone will retweet what you shared? Ideally, you send out links so others will see and want to retweet them. This allows more people to see your name attached to the useful piece, which will bring you more followers.
How do you decide what content to tweet?