The former “Saturday Night Live” star, who’s currently exercising her comedic chops on “Parks and Recreation,” spoke to recent Harvard graduates about how to find success after college.
Poehler’s speech inspired a blog by Cassandra Bianco about what it takes secure a PR job in today’s competitive market.
Although you may not wind up co-hosting Weekend Update, you’ll be closing in on bigger and better things. Here are five ways to land a PR or social media job:
1. Contact alumni via social media.
2. Demonstrate your strengths through networking and writing.
3. Present your online self in a professional manner. “Take down the Facebook party profile picture. Make sure your Twitter stream has some interesting thoughts on industry related articles,” Bianco wrote.
4. Come up with the right pickup line. Bianco’s line, which proved successful was, “I’ll be in town for interviews, and I was hoping you might be interested in meeting for an informational session.”
5. Mention your favorite blogs, apps, or social media platforms during interviews.
Get more tips from Bianco and watch Poehler’s speech: