Whether it’s exceptions to the rule, difficult words to spell, or words that sound like something they don’t mean, English is tricky.
Grammar.net recently published an infographic of 10 commonly misunderstood English words. The list features words that look like they should mean one thing, but actually mean something different.
Here are the top five words that don’t mean what you might think, and their true definitions:
1. Enormity: monstrous evil, excessive wickedness, outrageous
2. Nonplussed: bewildered, extremely puzzled, at a loss
3. Bemused: to be bewildered, confused, engrossed in thought
4. Redundant: beyond what is necessary or natural, needlessly wordy or repetitive
5. Plethora: superabundance, an excess Check out the full list in this infographic: