Do you remember when social media was new?
When college students were the only people who could create Facebook accounts and Twitter wasn’t full of trolls?
Social media has come a long way, and now it feels like there are too many social networks to count.
The industry underwent significant changes in just the past year. An infographic by The Website Group chronicles all of the major milestones of the most popular social networks from the beginning of 2016 to now. Some you’ll remember—and others you might be hearing about for the first time. Here are a few:
- January 2016: Instagram increases video ads to 60 seconds.
- February 2016: Twitter allows videos in direct messages.
- April 2016: Pinterest expands to the United Kingdom.
- June 2016: Instagram implements an algorithm-based newsfeed.
- August 2016: Snapchat airs its first Snapchat Discover show.
- November 2016: Facebook introduces a job listings feature.
- February 2017: LinkedIn announces new engagement insights.
Have you adjusted your social media marketing in light of any of these milestones? Please share in the comments.
Check out the full infographic: