I’ve gotten several new clients through social media, especially LinkedIn. The first was a company owner in Miami who sent me a connect request explaining he’d like to hire me to get his name on search engines.
His email was courteous and to the point. “You don’t know me, but I’m interested in hiring you. I’m impressed with your accomplishments.” He gave me his phone number and asked me to call him. I Googled him, and found the company to be legitimate. After we exchanged a few emails and discussed his PR needs, I checked out his company further and sent him my phone number. He sent a retainer that day.
Soon after, I quickly realized I could get more new clients if I followed a few simple social media guidelines:
1. Always present yourself professionally, even on your personal social media accounts. You never know who will view your profile.
2. Monitor who checks your profile. Check the person’s legitimacy, then send an introductory email.
3. Update your accounts and sites frequently.
4. Ask others to refer you to their clients and contacts.
5. Increase contacts by listing your social media sites on your website, business cards, advertisements, and email signature.