Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Certificate Course for Communicators
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Certificate Course for Communicators
11/1, 11/8, 11/15 • 1-3 p.m. ET
Register for this three-part certificate series to gain the skills, tools and insights you need to make a lasting impact as a DE&I communicator.
Drive culture change • Foster inclusion and learning • Amplify marginalized voices at work • Draft a DE&I communication plan and measure results • Create a more inclusive workforce • Take a leadership role • Disrupt biases
Fact: DE&I is no longer nice-to-have. It’s imperative. But your communications initiatives need to be supported with a goals-oriented plan that drives measurable results. This engaging, virtual three-session interactive course will revolutionize your approach to creating, contributing to, and communicating effective Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion communications, plans and programs. Its dynamic curriculum, collaborative online classrooms and insightful workshop guests will empower you to meet the moment, transforming your well-intentioned ideas into actionable plans with measurable goals.
Embark on this transformative journey and become a catalyst for positive change through the power of communication!
Join to learn from top industry DE&I experts and gain the skills and knowledge you need to empower and guide your organization to thrive.
Your communications matter, and it’s crucial that your messaging resonates authentically and intentionally. Break free from the limitations of well-intentioned, siloed initiatives and embark on a transformative journey that will help you craft a plan to embed DE&I in every department of your organization. This module is the beginning of the revolution of your role as a communicator in driving successful DE&I programs.
- The FAQ: What is DE&I? We’ll start by busting common myths and misconceptions.
- The “Why of DE&I:” Learn now to articulate your organization’s deeper DE&I purpose using communications.
- The communicator’s role: Why your part in empowering DE&I across the organization is crucial – and how you can get buy-in from leadership.
- Checking your biases: How unconscious bias derails DE&I communication efforts.
- Allyship for communicators: Examples of inclusive language and visual representation.
- Keys to cultivating inclusion: How microaggressions undermine an inclusive culture — and how to stop them.
- Building trust through actions: The importance of aligning words with visible commitment and genuine initiatives.
- Take an Implicit Bias Test.
- Take the Check Your Privilege Quiz.
- Select an internal communication used in your organization and rewrite it to be more inclusive.
- Bring the before and after.
With the building blocks of DE&I at hand, we’ll dive into the crucial next steps: how and when to infuse a DE&I lens into your communications strategy. You’ll learn how you can leverage the power of effective communication to drive positive change and foster a more inclusive environment throughout your organization. In this module:
- Inclusive Storytelling: Crafting narratives that celebrate diversity and promote equity.
- Language and Representation: Choosing inclusive words and visuals for maximum impact.
- Substance, not Performance: How to identify performative communication and refocus into an event that will have an impact on the organization.
- Strategies to acknowledge and act: Identifying the decision tree of engagement around cultural moments and social justice issues.
- Tapping DE&I champions: How to partner with HR, Employee Resource Groups and crucial leadership.
- Dismantling Barriers: Develop strategies to overcome communication barriers with those who identify as different or other.
- Powerful Inclusive Messaging: Apply your knowledge of diversity, equity and inclusion to create more effective messaging for your audience.
- Take the DE&I IQ short assessment.
- Complete DE&I comms plan exercise.
- Bring your DE&I comms plan.
Transforming your organization into an inclusive powerhouse requires more than just good intentions. It demands measurable goals. A well-crafted DE&I plan will fuel an inclusive culture, attract top talent, drive productivity, and enhance your bottom line – but only if it’s empowered to do so. In this invigorating, final module you’ll discover the tools to design and assess the progress of your DE&I communication plan. You’ll learn:
- Crafting an effective DE&I plan: Strategies to create a tailor-made roadmap for your organization.
- Stakeholder engagement: Learn how to engage key stakeholders across the organization, foster buy-in from leadership, and drive your company’s commitments.
- Roadmap in action: We’ll review a sample plan step-by-step to help you jumpstart your journey.
- Dollars behind DE&I: Unveiling the significance of budgeting as a reflection of values and commitment.
- Data-driven progress: How to leverage quantitative and qualitative metrics to track and measure the impact of your results.
- Our 2024 crystal ball: Future-proof your strategy with this deep dive into emerging trends you will need to prepare for.
- The Implicit Bias test.
- Check Your Privilege quiz.
- DE&I IQ short assessment.
- DE&I communications plan outline.
- Inclusive language checklist.
- Diversity style guide (access to more than 700 terms and phrases).
- DE&I organizational assessment grid.
Associate Education Director—ADL
Bill Hicks joined the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) in February 2019, as the Associate Education Director. As Associate Education Director, Bill is responsible for coordinating, and delivering anti-bias education programs and trainings to K-12 schools and communities which allow participants to explore identity and diversity, and examine and challenge bias within self, others, and systems to ultimately create welcoming and inclusive environments. He also manages ADL’s No Place for Hate initiative which is a student led K-12 school framework for creating an equitable school climate. Prior to joining ADL, Bill spent 16 ½ years with Boys & Girls Clubs of America. Bill is a member of the Illinois Diversity Council and an advocate for LGBTQ+ issues.
Reporter/Conference Producer—Ragan Communications
Isis Simpson-Mersha is a conference producer and reporter at Ragan Communications where she writes content for Ragan.com and PR Daily.com. She also produces conferences (live and virtual), workshops, boot camps and webinars with strategic content. Before joining the Ragan team, Simpson-Mersha worked for MLive as a digital and newspaper journalist, reporting on communities and businesses and other topics in mid-Michigan. She also worked as a radio news producer and host at NPR member station, WCMU Public Radio during her time at Central Michigan University.
Top skills you’ll master upon completion:
- Strategic DE&I Communication: Develop a strategic mindset and the ability to align DE&I communication plans with organizational goals and values.
- Culturally Sensitive Messaging: Craft messages that resonate with diverse audiences, ensuring inclusivity and cultural sensitivity in your communication.
- Storytelling for Impact: Harness the power of storytelling techniques to create compelling narratives that inspire and drive meaningful change.
- Effective Collaboration: Enhance your collaboration skills to effectively work with diverse teams, fostering an inclusive and supportive environment.
- Measurement and Evaluation: Learn how to establish metrics and evaluate the impact of DE&I communication initiatives, enabling data-driven decision-making.
- Crisis Communication and Conflict Resolution: Develop strategies to navigate challenging situations, handle conflicts, and address crisis communication with an inclusive approach.
- Authentic Engagement: Build authentic relationships and engage with stakeholders from different backgrounds, fostering trust and genuine connection.
- Inclusive Leadership: Acquire leadership skills that promote inclusivity, empower diverse voices, and drive positive change within your organization and beyond.
Top reasons to attend this virtual course
- You’ll receive a DEI Certificate.
- You’ll listen to and interact with the nation’s top DEI and communications experts.
- You’ll get access to all presentations and an on-demand recording of the course.
- You’re guaranteed extensive, how-to instruction you can use immediately.
- You can attend this immersive course live or on-demand over 3 weeks.
Secure your seat today for this transformative DE&I Communications course offered by Ragan.
Ragan Insider Member
(Not an Insider? You can become one when registering!)
Take the first step towards becoming a recognized leader in DE&I communication. Your dedication will shape a more inclusive future, and with our Certificate of Completion in hand, you'll showcase your expertise and commitment to driving positive change. Your dedication will shape a better future for all!