Writing Certificate Course
Virtual Training for Communicators
May 8, 15, 22 | 1-3 p.m. ET | Three consecutive modules
Register for this immersive three-part certificate series to hone core writing competencies for communicators and become a faster, more creative and more persuasive writer.
Writing forms the foundation of communications and public relations as a career and a discipline. Quality, strategic wordsmithing can elevate a communicator and change the game for their organizations by ensuring clarity, alignment and precision across internal and external touchpoints.
According to research from Ragan and HarrisX , writing is the No. 1 most-valued skill for comms executives, as well as the skill comms leaders say needs the most improvement on their team — which means leveling up this skill set can elevate both your career and the results of your work.
In this three-part online course, expert instructors will guide you to the next stage of your writing journey. You’ll learn how to improve your craft across key communications formats, measure the impact of your writing for maximum effectiveness, and find the right words in the most challenging situations.
Hone your writing skills in just a few short weeks. You’ll receive assignments, a certificate of completion and a writing style guide you can tailor to your organization.
Messaging matters. This session is the refresher you need to increase your writing’s effectiveness — and your ability to represent your organization across common comms touchpoints. You’ll learn:
- How to discover your writer’s voice — and align it with the voice of your organization.
- Tips for developing blog posts, newsletters, social media copy and other critical work.
- How to identify and write to audiences’ needs so you get more eyeballs on your writing, no matter the medium.
- Fundamentals revisited: Overlooked techniques to choose precise words and write simpler, more direct sentences that propel readers.
- Insider tips for measuring the success of your work.
- How to ethically incorporate AI into your work.
Take the writing self-assessment and craft an email.
Come prepared to talk about what you learned. In course exercises: What’s wrong with these emails and press releases?
After our refresher on the basics, we’ll focus on tactics to write with authority when developing executive communications so you convince and captivate readers. You’ll also learn how to apply these techniques to a variety of common executive comms and thought leadership documents, and how to work with leaders to make your writing more impactful.
You’ll walk away with a better understanding of:
- How to work with leadership to craft cohesive, authoritative, authentic and consistent messaging.
- What it takes to capture a leader’s authentic voice.
- How to structure and write messaging for town halls, internal communications and media talking points.
- The fundamentals of thought leadership: what audiences want to hear from an organization and its representatives.
- The science of authority through persuasion: how leading behavioral persuasion theories apply to writing.
- How to secure approval for communications initiatives, and how to incorporate business data into your written work.
Make a bulleted list of the attributes of your executives’ voice, then write a 10-minute script for an all-hands meeting for your organization.
Bring your work to share and discuss.
This session delivers real-world solutions to the toughest writing challenges communicators face so you can deliver the messages people need to hear with grace and gravitas every time. You’ll learn:
- What to say when the words don’t come easy: how to communicate during layoffs and crises.
- How to use your words to reassure employees and improve retention during mergers, acquisitions and leadership changes.
- Using the right channels to reach your audiences during a crisis.
- Tough lessons organizations have learned during difficult moments.
- Self-editing tips.
- What employees and external audiences want to know when the unexpected happens.
Write a message from your organization’s CEO about a fictional round of layoffs.
(Exclusive for Attendees)
- Smart Brevity Checklist
- Guide for Writing Concisely
- Thought Leadership Success
- Concise and Compelling Checklist
- Writing in the Age of AI: Partnering with AI Programs
- Strunk and White’s Timeless Secrets for Rocket-Powered Writing
- Headline Writing that Speaks Volumes
- Applying News Writing Principles to Your Writing
- Why and How to Create and In-House Style Guide
- The Ultimate Self-Editing Deep Dive
Top 8 skills you’ll master:
- Write Like a Journalist: Powerful techniques for crafting credible, yet compelling headlines, subject lines, teasers and leads.
- The Oops Checklist: The biggest grammatical, stylistic and strategic writing mistakes communicators make — and how to avoid them.
- Persuasive, Authoritative Messaging: Infusing copy with an authentic voice.
- Self-Editing Hacks: A checklist to fine-tune and fact check copy fast.
- Made to Stick: How to make everything you write more “sticky” — from blogs, social media posts and even emails.
- Storytelling Hacks: New ways to transform boring topics into blockbusters.
- Creativity for Communicators: Harnessing your inner poet for bold, brilliant copy.
- Mastering Difficult Conversations: What do and say when crises and changes arise.
Top reasons to attend this virtual course
- How to tell stories that capture audiences’ imagination — and illuminate your value proposition.
- Tips for using AI for ideation and productivity without compromising ethics, creativity and authenticity.
- How to emphasize executives’ strengths and minimize their weaknesses through writing.
- Ways to harness user-generated content to reward and connect with your biggest fans.
- Smart tactics for making evergreen content that stays relevant for months or years.
- Essentials of must-read stories — and how to master them.
- How to leave vanity metrics behind and score true engagement.
Secure your seat today for this exclusive writing course offered by Ragan and PR Daily, and become the writing expert you dream of being!
Ragan Insider Member
Writing Center Member*
Phone registrations and group pricing: For group orders please contact our customer service team at 800-878-5331 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you can’t attend one or more of the modules live, you will receive the on-demand versions to complete the course.
*Writing Center members get free admittance to this certificate course and other Ragan writing and storytelling events offered throughout the year. You will be given an option to become a member when registering for this event!
Communications and marketing professionals from these organizations have earned certificates:
This advanced writer’s course is designed to help you enhance your writing skills and compose memorable messaging that engages and inspires your audience — so that you get the results and recognition you deserve, along with the Certificate of Completion!