PR pros are not easily scared, but these horrifying acts are sure to raise the hair on the neck of even the toughest PR cookie. (Cue scary music from the shower scene in “Psycho.”) We wouldn’t wish these PR nightmares on our worst enemy.
1. You mail merge a pitch to the wrong media list.
2. Your big placement is canned due to a huge breaking news.
3. A press release is issued with the CEO’s name misspelled and all the URLs are dead.
4. You wake to find a cover story featuring all your competitors.
5. Crisis, crisis, crisis and no prepared plan of attack.
6. No media show up for your press conference or media event.
7. You accidentally share a personal tweet on the corporate account.
8. You lose cell/Internet service; what is a PR pro without access?
9. An expensive PR stunt results in zero coverage.
10. You have the wrong addresses listed on a media tour and your spokesperson is late to every interview.
What is your worst PR nightmare?
Jennifer Nichols is co-founder and CEO of newly launched FlackList, where media can easily search, source, connect and maintain relationships with PR reps and experts within a social network setting.