(Editor’s note: This was one of the top viewed stories of 2015. We’re rerunning it as part of a look back at the articles that captivated our readers the most.)
This is my new 10-question employee engagement/satisfaction/climate survey.
This is “The Chalfont Project 10 Questions.” The Gallup survey has 12 questions, but mine is shorter and better. It’s a company MRI. (My original proprietary employee engagement survey had one question—No. 1 in the list below.)
These are the 10 questions:
- Why are you still here?
- What would make you leave?
- Where would you be if you weren’t here? (What company would you really like to work for?)
- If you were CEO, what would you fix tomorrow?
- What newspaper headline would you like to see about your company?
- How long do you think you’ll stay here?
- Can you name the company’s top leaders? (Don’t Google it.)
- Are your colleagues human or robots?
- Do you like Mondays? How difficult is to get out of bed to come to work?
- Which question haven’t we asked, but you wish we would? What would your answer be?
A thorough and serious interpretation of the answers, as well as a critical dialog about them, will give you more insight than many multi-question, multi-angle employee engagement/happiness questionnaires. I use this questionnaire in my organizational consulting practice.
Do you have any other questions? There can only be 10, so tell me which question above you would replace.