With a terse statement, Fox News ousts Bill O’Reilly

Rupert Murdoch said the decision came after ‘collaboration with outside counsel,’ though advertisers’ exodus probably helped. The former host still denies sexual harassment allegations.

Ragan Insider Content

After weeks of embarrassing press for Fox News, the company has cut ties with Bill O’Reilly.

The move to oust the host of the top-rated show “The O’Reilly Factor” comes following The New York Times’ April 1 story that revealed O’Reilly and his parent company, 21st Century Fox, had settled five sexual-harassment allegations for roughly $13 million.

For weeks, as many as 50 advertisers pulled their dollars from the show, and several groups called on the company to fire the host, who left the show last week for a temporary, planned vacation. O’Reilly was photographed this week meeting Pope Francis.

The only thing the company said about its decision was this terse statement delivered by 21st Century Fox:

After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel.

O’Reilly spent 21 years with the Fox News Chanel, and many are speculating that a legal battle could loom over the money owed as part of a multi-year contract he signed.

 

To read the full story, log in.
Become a Ragan Insider member to read this article and all other archived content.
Sign up today

Already a member? Log in here.
Learn more about Ragan Insider.