Many of us have our own internal poison. It’s called toxic communication.
Do any of these sound familiar?
1. Someone compliments you and you argue instead of saying thank you.
2. The unforgiving soundtrack in your head is still focusing on mistakes you made last week, last month, last year, last decade…
3. You believe the poison someone else spewed in your direction when you were a child, and it’s now “the truth.”
4. You have a long list of reasons (also known as excuses) about why you aren’t good enough for a promotion, new job, better relationship, healthier body, additional education. Blah, blah, blah.
5. When a conversation is focused on negativity and crisis, you jump right in to add your own horrific experience.