Americans aren’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and put in a hard day’s work.
Some might even say they work too much, because employees are wasting hundreds of millions of paid vacation days.
Which states have the hardest-working employees, though?
WalletHub’s recent report of “2018’s hardest-working states in America” ranks all 50 states, based on which ones put in the most work.
For this report, researchers collected data from the U.S. Census Bureau, the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the Annie E. Casey Foundation, the U.S. Travel Association, Gallup and the Corporation for National & Community Service. They compared “direct work factors” (80 points) and “indirect work factors” (20 points) to determine these rankings.
A few of the direct work factors included average workweek hours, employment rate and the number of workers who don’t use all their vacation time.
Average commute time and annual volunteer hours per resident were a couple of the indirect work factors analyzed.
With a total score of 68.54 and the highest average workweek hours, Alaska landed at No. 1 on the list. It was second overall in direct work factors and fourth in indirect work factors.
Here are the top five hardest-working states:
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
See the interactive map below for full state rankings:
Ready to dig into a new job? Here are a few job openings in states making the top five on the list:
- The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner is looking for a marketing consultant in Fairbanks, Alaska
- The University of North Dakota seeks a communications director in Grand Forks, North Dakota
- The Wyoming Office of Tourism is searching for a communications and public relations senior manager in Cheyenne, Wyoming
- The American Red Cross is looking for an executive director in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- The University of Nebraska Foundation seeks a digital media manager in Lincoln, Nebraska
Not the job for you? See what else we have in our weekly professional pickings:
If you have a position you’d like to see highlighted in PR Daily’s weekly jobs post, or if you’re searching for career opportunities, RaganJobs.com is the perfect place to find or post high-quality job openings.