Emily Post once said, “Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use.”
How often do you think about the feelings of the people on your email marketing list?
Hopefully every time you type up an email, but just in case, give this infographic from Skadeedle a quick read. It lists the dos and don’ts email marketing, which you should follow if you don’t want to offend, irritate or anger your readers.
Here are a few of the dos:
- Do ensure your subject line relates to your email’s content.
- Do double check your tone. (You don’t want to be unintentionally rude.)
- Do use bullet points.
- Do provide contact information.
- Do include your company name in the “from” label.
And now for some don’ts:
- Don’t write in all caps.
- Don’t use one large image as your entire email.
- Don’t hide your unsubscribe link.
- Don’t send an email just to send something. (Always provide value.)
- Don’t misspell your recipients’ names or use incorrect titles.
Do you think Emily Post would approve of your email marketing strategy?
Take a look at the infographic for more etiquette essentials: