Forty-six percent of companies have formal content marketing strategies, and 37 percent are considering such strategies, a recent survey of 217 marketing professionals by Unisphere Research and Skyword says.
An overwhelming majority (87 percent) of the organizations surveyed say they create original content. Twenty-four percent use content written or produced by outside vendors, and only 17 percent curate content, the research found.
[FREE DOWNLOAD: 10 ways to spin content marketing leads into gold]
The top three types of digital content the organizations create are:
- Articles (76 percent)
- Videos (60 percent)
- Blogs (58 percent)
Here are some additional key findings from the report:
- Sixty-eight percent of respondents say their primary content marketing goal is to engage customers and prospects.
- Forty-four percent of respondents want to increase brand awareness.
- Thirty-eight percent of respondents are primarily looking to acquire leads.
- Seventy-one percent of respondents employ social media to distribute content.
- Eighty-four percent of respondents use Facebook to promote their content.
- Seventy-nine percent of respondents use Twitter, and 64 percent use LinkedIn.
- Respondents see branded blogs as the most useful social media initiative—64 percent of respondents rated them as “extremely valuable” or “valuable.”
- Only 25 percent of respondents indicate they measure the results of individual pieces of content.
- Most respondents measure social media performance with platform-specific metrics such as levels of engagement (67 percent count comments or shares), website traffic (62 percent), and likes on Facebook or endorsements on LinkedIn (47 percent).
- Only 42 percent tie success directly to business gains via direct responses or downloads.
- An even smaller number (31 percent) make a connection to sales and revenue.
- A majority of respondents (53 percent) say they produce 10 or fewer content marketing assets per month to post across social media.
- Forty-four percent would like to increase their content production to 11 to 50 assets per month.
- Fourteen percent would like to increase their volume to more than 50 assets per month. Currently, only 4 percent have achieved this level.
- To fill the current gap, 78 percent report they repurpose or repost content.
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey of 217 marketing professionals (24 percent executive managers, 17 percent marketing managers/directors, 15 percent project managers, and the rest a mix of other titles). A range of company sizes were represented (41 percent with 1 to 100 employees, 17 percent with 101 to 500 employees, and 42 percent with more than 500 employees).