20 creative prompts to ward off writer’s block
The next time you come up dry, try out one of these quirky prompts. Writing an ode to an onion just might get the words flowing.
From Shakespeare to Dickens, Fitzgerald to Twain, no writer has escaped its gnarly grasp.
And for those of us charged with corporate writing, it usually hits right around deadline time.
Before you sigh and despair that you’re destined to suffer from writer’s block from now until eternity, listen up.
I recently discovered a book titled “642 Things to Write About,” and it is exactly that—a book of 642 writing prompts that can help you unstick your mind when you can’t think of anything to say.
The prompts range from witty and silly, to thought provoking and sincere. Below are 20 of my favorites. Try one out the next time you go head to head with that blinking cursor.
1. Write 10 sayings for fortune cookies.
2. What is the sound of silence, and when did you last hear it?
3. What did you dream about last night?
4. Toto, if we’re not in Kansas anymore, where are we?
5. Describe a piece of clothing you keep just for the memory.
Become a Ragan Insider member to read this article and all other archived content.Sign up today
Already a member? Log in here.
Learn more about Ragan Insider.