20 things PR pros should not do
You’ve been told what you should do to succeed in PR. But what about the things you had better not be doing? Here’s the list.
I’ve been thinking about the things PR professionals should not do—the things that will cause you to lose clients, fail to impress your boss, and generally stagnate in the industry.
Here are those things, broken into four categories:
1. Phone journalists when you know they’re on deadline.
2. Be unprepared for questions when pitching a reporter.
3. Miss a deadline.
4. Spam journalists with the same release, with no consideration of what they actually want.
5. Fail to provide interesting, exciting, and high-resolution images for stories.
6. Delete negative comments on blog post or Facebook pages.
7. Focus on numbers, not engagement.
8. Not bother monitoring conversation.
9. Share nothing but links to offers and your own website.
Become a Ragan Insider member to read this article and all other archived content.Sign up today
Already a member? Log in here.
Learn more about Ragan Insider.