One word or two? The meaning can change

Take care with certain compound words such as underway and whatever—lest you muddy your message.

Ragan Insider Premium Content
Ragan Insider Content

Here’s my favorite German compound word: Eisenbahnknotenpunkthinundherschieber, meaning a railroad switch operator. Literally, iron rail junction back-and-forth pusher.

Americans like to lump words together, too, though to a lesser degree and often with less precision, unfortunately. When the same series of letters can change its meaning because of the absence or presence of a space (i.e., whether they’re offered as one word or two), it’s best to take care and make sure you’re clear.

Three examples follow:

Goodwill vs. good will

On this point, I go along with the Associated Press Stylebook. As one word, it has a specific meaning used when one company buys another. Per AP style: “…the amount by which the purchase price exceeds the fair value of an acquired company’s net assets.”

The two-word form refers to a sense of benevolence: “Myron’s a contemptible skunk, but he fractured his fibula while trampolining, so this month I’ll mow his lawn in a show of good will.”

Unless you’re working on a business story or a financial report, you’re most likely to want good will. (And here’s hoping you get it. See how benevolent that was?)

Underway vs. under way

To read the full story, log in.
Become a Ragan Insider member to read this article and all other archived content.
Sign up today

Already a member? Log in here.
Learn more about Ragan Insider.