I’ve seen: “What kind of best friend are you?”; “What kind of cupcake are you?”; “What kind of coffee drink are you?”; “Which ‘Little House on the Prairie’ character are you?”
What’s next? “What kind of fungus are you?”
However annoying it is, this phenomenon has inspired me to develop my own quiz. It’s called, “What kind of word nerd are you?”
For those Ragan readers who’ve been wondering exactly where they fall on that scale, this one’s for you:
What kind of a word nerd are you?
Step 1. Answer the following yes/no questions. (Be honest. This is a judgment-free zone.)
1. Do you subscribe to one or more style guides (or have one or more style guides on your desk)?
2. Do you catch typos all around you, even when you’re not looking for them?
3. Do you find yourself correcting the grammar in the books you read to your kids? (“Junie B. Jones” is the worst.)
4. Can you quote from “Eats, Shoots and Leaves”?
5. Have you had more than one heated argument about the use of the serial comma?
6. Does seeing 1990’s or 30’s drive you to drink?