Is your fear of public speaking keeping you from reaching your full potential? Maybe it’s holding you back from a successful job interview.
It’s natural to have anxiety before you speak in public. In fact, fear of public speaking is one of the most common phobias in the world. But with practice, relaxation and the right steps, you can overcome your public-speaking anxieties.
When you practice:
1. Rehearse your speeches, presentations and interviews out loud with friends, family, work associates and anyone else willing to listen.
2. Practice with all the equipment you’ll use in the presentation.
3. Work on your breathing, pauses, posture and voice.
4. Use a timer so you can plan for the unexpected.
5. Visualize everything that causes you anxiety so you can get used to your fear.
6. Avoid memorizing every word. It can cause additional stress and worsen anxiety.
Before you speak:
7. Relax. Relaxation is vital before you present.