So much about communications has changed since the onset of COVID-19, including the channels used to reach employees.
Email, historically the top channel used by communicators, has increased in importance, as half of respondents in a new survey report using email more now than they did before COVID-19. Not surprisingly, the biggest jump of any channel was virtual and video meetings, with 96% of respondents saying they use it more than before. Intranets, the third most-used channel, historically eschewed by employees, has seen a resurgence, with 58% of communicators using it more than they did pre-pandemic.
These were among the findings of a recent survey to evaluate the current state of corporate communications. Ragan, in conjunction with PoliteMail, surveyed more than 350 communicators in early July 2020 for our “State of Corporate Communication: Summer 2020” report.
According to the report, the top four channels currently used by communicators, regardless of company size, are email; virtual and video meetings; the intranet; and internal social networking, chat and real-time messaging tools.
This revealing report reveals the answers to the following questions:
- Which communication channels are you currently utilizing the most?
- Are you measuring your communications efforts?
- Which topics do employees want to know the most about right now?
- What percent of your workforce is currently working from home?
- How long do you anticipate work from home will remain?